27 Maoists Surrender Before Police in Ranchi Amid Push for Naxalism-Free India
- 1 day ago
- 2 min read
By Amandeep Singh
A total of 27 Maoists surrendered before Jharkhand Police in Ranchi on Thursday in the presence of Director General of Police Tadasha Mishra, officials said.
The surrendered cadres, associated with the banned CPI (Maoist), laid down arms before senior officials of the Jharkhand Police, Jharkhand Jaguar, and the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) under the state’s surrender and rehabilitation initiative, ‘Operation Navjeevan’.
According to police officials, several of those who surrendered were wanted in multiple criminal and insurgency-related cases.

“Twenty-seven Maoists surrendered before the police under ‘Operation Navjeevan’. In 2026 so far, 22 Maoists have been killed, 44 arrested, and 29 have surrendered. We appeal to the remaining cadres to return to the mainstream,” a senior police officer said.
DGP Tadasha Mishra said security forces will continue coordinated operations to eliminate extremism from the state while ensuring rehabilitation support for those choosing to surrender.
“The 27 Maoists who surrendered today will be rehabilitated with full support from the government,” she said.
CRPF Inspector General Saket Singh also appealed to remaining insurgents to abandon violence and join the mainstream.
Officials said the surrendered Maoists were linked to the group led by Misir Besra, believed to be the last active politburo member of the CPI (Maoist). Besra carries a bounty of Rs 1 crore and has remained active in Jharkhand’s Saranda and Kolhan regions.
Among those who surrendered were CPI (Maoist) ‘sub-zonal commander’ Sagen Aangariya alias Dokol, reportedly wanted in 123 cases, and JJMP sub-zonal commander Sachin Beg, police said.
To strengthen security presence in Maoist-affected areas, around 21 new Advanced Camp Locations (ACLs) and Forward Operating Bases (FOBs) have been established in the Saranda region, officials added.
The development comes just days after Home Minister Amit Shah commended the efforts of the Government and Central Departments for their continued efforts and actions to achieve the 'Naxalism-free' India by 31st march 2026 vision. Shah declared India Naxalism-free and surrenders like Ranchi are the proof of the vision being achieved surrender by surrender.


